Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I am.....


I was the girl in high school that was the “good one”, I never drank, partied or participated in risky behavior, rather I was doing community service, being nice to everyone and being the perfect one I thought I had to be. I had the nice clothes, the name brand bags, shoes and the big house. However, on the inside I was screaming. I was unhappy, lonely and frustrated with Jesus for allowing my parents to divorce, allowing my stepfather to pass away and allowing my house to burn to the ground. I was screaming for something more, a more I thought I could find in my church. I was raised in a strict catholic home; I attended catholic school till 6th grade, went to church on Sundays, went to confession and prayed before family meals. I taught religious education at my church for 4 years and was who I thought Jesus wanted me to be. Yet, I was still empty and alone. How was I still empty when I was doing all of these things for others and was going to church and doing what I thought to be godly?
 

Senior year of high school came and went and I later committed to Penn State New Kensington. About 3 months into the school year, I began talking to a guy who I thought was all I deserved. I thought I deserved his taunts, his hateful and hurtful comments and his want for me to be the person he wanted. I believed that all I needed was him. During this time, I began a journey of a lifetime; a journey I thought would make him love me. Picture a 240 pound girl, short, has acne and unhappiness written all over her face; that was me; the fat girl who just wanted to be loved and be accepted. Over the next few months, I ate healthy, began running and shed more weight, but the taunting continued and I was still empty. After, almost an 8 month abusive relationship, I grew the courage to end it, but the taunting did not end. As I walked down the halls to class every morning I would hear a walrus imitation and gagging noises coming from behind me. All I wanted was to be loved and yet again, I became frustrated. How could Jesus do this to me?
 

1 year later, 105 pounds gone and successfully finishing a half marathon and many 5ks I transferred to University Park. I was still empty and looking for more; a more that I gave up on, but Jesus had other plans for me. About 3 weeks into the semester, my roommate Kara invited me to DCF and to be honest I was not very convinced. I could see the change in her and how Jesus had impacted her life in the short months of the previous semester but I just didn’t think it was for me. She later asked me to join her at Calvary church but I was hesitant because I assumed it was like the strict Catholic Church I grew up in. I found myself crying as we left the service, I was overwhelmed and so impacted by the service, but still I wasn’t convinced and I questioned whether I was empty because I didn’t have Jesus. About 2 more weeks went by and I continued to come to DCF on Fridays, I started attending Gospel Group Thursday nights and Calvary on Sundays but it was not until I heard Zack talking about how Jesus was all I needed that it truly clicked. For the first time it hit a spot in my heart; a spot that had never been touched. I left feeling confident that Jesus was in fact all I needed.  I didn’t need everyone else’s approval or the love from someone who clearly was not for me; I needed Jesus.

Over the past month I have found myself really examining my life and what is really important to me. Realizing that I am not alone and unwanted. Jesus is with me all day every day and God sent Jesus so that I could be saved of my sins. He wanted me how I was; I don’t have to change or be perfect for him to love me. My thoughts were confirmed while at fall conference when once again I felt Jesus’ presence; his presence in my heart. I felt different, a good different. While talking with Kara about what was on my mind and while reflecting on that day’s talk I caught myself say, “since I am a baby Christian now.” After speaking those words; I burst into tears and for the first time I called myself a Christian. I accepted Jesus as my savoir and as the only person I needed. I was not alone and no longer empty; a feeling id been trying to fill for so many years. I am a baby Christian.
 

6 comments:

  1. Amen sister! This made me tear up a little. Praise Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know I was on your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of upset to come across this. After knowing you at New Ken and seeing you a few times at university park, you really hurt some people, and lied more than anyone I knew in New Ken....a part of being faithful to jesus is not lying...be you and quit molding. Tell the truth. From what I've heard you still try and control people's lives and decisions, and as some one knowing some one you've let down, I can't honestly say you still need to reevaluate a lot of the ways you treat your "friends". I'm happy you claim to be happy, but there are several fabrications in this write up..just be yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being honest and sorry that you feel that way. I am a sinner who makes mistakes everyday. I am in no way perfect, but by Gods Grace I am able to face that I have hurt others and seek to reconcile those conflicts. Despite that I am a sinner, I know that Jesus forgives me for the way I have sinned in such relationships; all of which gives me hope that although I will continue to mess up God will continue to work in me.

      Delete
  4. Since you want to delete the comments of the truth, I will continue to post it. Ryan NEVER in any way, shape, or form abused you. Stop lying and change the story.

    ReplyDelete