Saturday, June 14, 2014

Homemade "Chipotle" Bowl

Extra creamy "quac", super fresh salsa, just right grilled veggies, perfect corn salsa and yummy chips.....yes, I am referring to Chipotle. If you have ever been to Chipotle, you know what I am talking about.

I was working tonight, for those who don't know I work at a hospital in PA, and as the last hour of my shift slowly passed I pondered what I was going to have for dinner. Now, I am one of those people who says, I have nothing in my fridge, meanwhile I could feed like 100 people. So I'm waiting and thinking of what I want and Chipotle pops into my head. Its a good option. Plant based, healthy (I think so) inexpensive and on my way home from work. I repeat on my way home; so your thinking I stopped right? Nope, I stopped at the nearest grocery store, picked up some fresh organic avocados and black beans and onto home I went. Making my own version of the famous Chipotle Bowl.



What you will need: (1 serving, since I made this for myself)

For the Rice:
1 serving of rice (I use Whole Foods brand brown Rice)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon of coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
salt to taste

For Tofu:
1/4 block of extra firm tofu (more or less if desired)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon all spice (or old bay)

For Guacamole:
1 ripe avocado (I know its ripe when the tip fall off)
1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro
1/4 wedge of lime juice
1 teaspoon of hot sauce (I use Sriricha)

Peppers and Onions:
1 cup of freshly sliced peppers (any color of your choice)
1 cup of finely sliced red onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil of choice

Toppings:
1/4 cup Black Beans
Thin slices of lettuce


Directions:
1. Begin by boiling and beginning to cook the rice as directed on the package.
2. Slice the onions and peppers and slightly brown in a pan with oil, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired. Stir as you go.
3. Cut the tofu block into long strips, place the strips between a few paper towels in order to eliminate some of the moisture. About 5 minutes.
4. While this is occurring, remove the avocado from the shell, add all guacamole ingredients to a bowl and mix. Making smooth or clumpy based on your preference. Cover and place in refrigerator till ready to serve.
5. Cut the tofu into small cubes. Smaller the better. Place tofu into a hot pan (adding oil or spray if needed) and cook until lightly brown. Then add all the seasoning and cook until brown and crisp.
6. Now assemble as you please!

You could also add corn on top as well!





No comments:

Post a Comment